Thread Rating:
  • 74 Vote(s) - 3.12 Average
How can I keep my house warm in winter?
I thought that you would like this random post of interest so here goes:

As you all [should] know, insulation is the key to this equation.

Stone/brick/concrete homes are the worst offenders when retaining heat (but good in summer for retaining the cool) - go figure.
If you have a stone/brick/concrete home then you probably spend an awful lot in heating costs (central-air, under-floor heating etc.).
If you have a stone/brick/concrete home then you are somewhat screwed.

Keeping the warmth in and denying the outside cold access is your cipher.
Believe it or not, AIR is the BEST insulation against the cold.
This is how "double glazed" windows work, one pane of glass separated by a second with an air-gap between.
The use of insulation material in walls, ceilings and under-floors comprised of foam or wool (natural or synthetic) provides superb insulation through billions of small pockets of air - in our part of the world "Pink Batts" reigns supreme.

If you don't have the luxury of a wooden home (where there is an outside wall and an inside wall and between stuffed with air pockets) and double-glazed windows then you can focus on these simple steps:
Keep your outside doors and windows closed (you gotta be pretty stupid not to figure that one out).
Remember, each time that an outside door is opened/closed (someone entering/exiting) it takes about 15-minutes of heating energy to recover the heat lost (even more if you stand at the open door merrily chatting away to your courier driver) - large families especially suffer through this phenomena.
Heat loss through windows is VERY high! Especially ones that don't seal properly (requiring winter sealing - ask me about that).
Open your curtains/blinds to let the sun come in to appropriate rooms that get decent exposure during the day - free energy! (your teenage son/daughter may not like this idea as they seem to be attracted to the dark on a sunny winter's day).
CLOSE the curtains/blinds when the sun disappears to prevent your well-earned free-energy from making a run for it.
Use decent "thermally insulated" curtains.

I can throw a whole lot more into the mix - simply put... use your logic and what you learnt in science class...