Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
WVC Micro Inverters (KaiDeng) - My Review
I always wanted to use Micro Inverters instead of my Central Inverter for many and obvious reasons.

1 – Micro Inverters adapt to the condition/output of individual Solar Panels – IE: if one Solar Panel in a (Series) String has shade or has failed, it does not drop the entire String’s output (the problem that I was faced with).
2- Micro Inverters (mounted underneath the Solar Panel) convert the Solar Panels DC Voltage to AC before transmitting to the destination (mostly “Tied” directly into to the Grid).
3- Micro Inverters can be monitored, identified and diagnosed individually providing that the Model chosen has WiFi ability. Very handy if one of the Inverters fail and you want to locate the Solar Panel it is connected to without removing your roof.
4-  Micro Inverters eliminate the horrendous loss of power that DC Voltage is famed for over longer cable runs. DC Voltages from Strings can be extremely dangerous and they can reach in excess of 500 Volts and suffer from corrosion (in the early years of inter-city transmission when DC current was used, the poles were frequently reversed to slow down the corrosion process).

This was realised during my transition from Central Inverter to Micro Inverters as blogged here: http://www.computersense.co.nz/forums/sh...hp?tid=243

The cost of Micro Inverters was (and in most cases, still is) prohibitively expensive for most small to medium sized installations. In many cases, it more than doubles the price per Solar Panel installed.

The cost of Micro Inverters was the determining factor when I installed my Solar 4 years ago and thus ended up with a Central Inverter instead (which did well but masked the obvious power loss I was experiencing without knowing).

Still being cost-conscious, I was determined to give Micro Inverters a go but I wasn’t going to “experiment” with high-cost “branded” Micro Inverters.

Enter the WVC Micro Inverters (the WVC-600 to be precise).

What other place to look for something to experiment with other than Alliexpress?
The WVC Inverters immediately took the spotlight based on “affordability” and I soon discovered that all other sites (eBay, Amazon and Alibaba) were selling these under different names like MarsRock, Supoele, Snaterm, Tricorpower, Jesudom, Shinny and Jasmint (to name only a few).

All these Micro Inverters are manufactured by Dongguan KaiDeng (KaiDeng Energy Technology).

There are mixed reviews on the Internet regarding these KaiDeng Micro Inverters – I soon discovered that the reviews were either made on older models (which did seem to be problematic and “out of box” failures were high) or by reviewers on drugs or don’t know how to handle electronic equipment (like breaking MC4 connectors and blaming it on the manufacturer).

What you get in the Box:
You get the Micro Inverter of course together with stainless bolts/nuts/washers for mounting to your Sting Rails and a heavy duty/high quality power cable (3x 4mm cores) for daisy-chaining two or more Inverters together.

I was immediately startled at the high-grade quality which seems lacking in most Chinese-made equipment.

Not deterred by negative reviews on "the Internet" and, after receiving these first batch of Micro Inverters for testing, I gingerly tested them one at a time with two 250W Solar Panels and to make sure each of them worked “out of the box” – they all worked flawlessly.

After temporarily installing all the Micro Inverters on one String (of six 250W Solar Panels) and running for 2-weeks I was astounded that I was generating an average extra in excess of 2KW per day for that period (even during some BLEEP and stormy weather)!

I didn't hesitate in permanently installing them at next opportunity.

Here they are installed:

I then spent the following weekends permanently wiring them into the Grid with appropriate new AC Cables and Breakers.

It feels so good to get rid of those bastard DC components and reap the benefit of reliable AC.
The last Solar Panel in this particular String gets shade in the late afternoon which used to collapsed the entire String for the last 2-3 hours of sunlight - no more of that crap.

Six weeks on and everything is "heaven" and I since received another eight WVC-600 Micro Inverters to convert the rest of my installation and get rid of the rest of the bastard DC Serial Stings.

In summary:
I am over-the-moon with these WVC Micro Inverters and highly recommend them - however, if you live in a "backward country", you may find that getting them certified for your installation a pain (or not possible - so I have read) but these Inverters meet 80% of the worlds countries safety standards "that count".
I did, at the same time, purchase the WVC Modem to monitor the individual WVC Micro Inverters which is a great aid in checking the health of each Inverter.
However, I thought it best to do a separate review on the WVC Modem and the KDM Software used to monitor the WVC Inverters here: http://www.computersense.co.nz/forums/sh...hp?tid=260